PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration

Hi All,

I have decided to try a new topload configuration for my new PIRANHA coil. It will use four 8 inch diameter "gazing balls" like this:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/newcoil-03.jpg

3/8 Brass tubing will interconnect the balls and provide support. The main tubes on the "X" will be 3/8 inch and the balls will have 3/8 inch ID tubing inserted into them. Thus, the balls will ba able to slide in and out in a telescoping fashion. The far end of the tube inside the ball will be epoxied in place. It is fairly critical to get the tube aligned properly. One could tune the coil by sliding the balls in and out.

The electrostatic fields look like this:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/newcoil-00.jpg

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/newcoil-01.jpg

The 4 inch radius spheres should arc out at 3MV/m or 305kV which is fine. So It should do about as well as a 24 (or more) x 8 toroid!! The cost is about $100 for the balls and $10 for the brass. You just enlarge the probably existing hole in the balls to 13/32 inch for the tubes and pour a bit of epoxy inside the balls at the opposite end to hold the sliding tubes. The center of the "X" will also be a large brass ball.

The whole coil will look something like this:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/newcoil-02.jpg

I will probably use four little gothic pewter figures like these for the four strike points down on the base rather than the brass balls (I'll use them for feet.):

http://www.pewtermanor.com/undragon.htm

They can be drilled and taped for 1/4-20 and used as top cover hold down bolts too. The primary coil will probably be hidden under the top cover.

Should be cool!!

Cheers,

	Terry