Re: 3 phase car alternators

Original poster: Jeff Larson <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

About 15 years ago when I started playing with Tesla coils my friend and I were looking for sources of high voltage since we had burned out the transformers that we had. We had taken apart a alternator and removed the diodes and extended the stator windings out of the case. I think we just fed them through holes in the side. This was C clamped to the welding table. We then put a 18 inch pulley on a 8 Hp Briggs and Stratton gas engine that had a horizontal shaft. The engine was also mounted to the welding table so that a belt was placed on the large pulley and the tiny pulley of the alternator. The speed ratio between the engine and the alternator was huge. Like maybe 1 to 9. Any way, the engine was started and run up to speed. The alternator was singing at a high speed. Then 12 volts was applied to the field winding, or was it 24, I don't remember. What I do vividly remember was the hot arcs that jump between the stator wires sticking out in the air. It was like a Jacobs ladder. Man did that put a load on the engine. It would bog the engine way down until we removed the voltage on the field winding. I don't know how much voltage was on stator, but the wires must have been about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart. So maybe 10kv. Imagine that! We didn't use it for anything, but it was fun. I think someone out there needs to revisit this experiment. Who has the stuff , and the time? A challenge. We will want to see video.
Jeff Larson