Re: Who will keep the torch moving?

Original poster: "D&M's High Voltage, Inc." <DMsHV.DavMcKin@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To all,

The main thing about winding the coils is putting on the urethane. The smaller coils require 3 - 5 coats and the larger coils (especially when using larger diameter wire) require 8+ coats. It takes overnight to cure each coat and then a couple more days to fully let them set in before shipping. It was these many coats of urethane that made the outside surface smooth to where you couldn't feel the wire. Never could get the 2 part epoxies to create a nice smooth surface.

As for cost - labor was the largest portion - it takes several hours to put a fully assembled secondary together (including the urethaning process, painting the form, assembling the mounting hardware, center disks, endcaps, crating, etc. - actual winding time was a small % of the total time on the order of 10-15 minutes for the 12 x 50 coils).

As for shipping, the complete 12 x 50 coils (with endcaps, mounting hardware, and 5 center disks) ran around 125 Lbs. fully crated (approx. crate dimensions - 18"H x 18"W x 65"L there were then 3" pads for forklifts underneath).

Hopefully this will be of help to those who start producing these on at least somewhat commercial level.

Good Luck!

David L. McKinnon
D&M's High Voltage, Inc.

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Chris...

if your friend is wondering about 6 - 12" secondaries and wants some produced. my question is how many and what type of coil forms does he wants? Does he require the form to be made of extruded lexan or "sonoform" ( cardboard) tube? I have the capabilites to produce secondaries up to 12" in dia and 60" in length in small quantities ( 1 thru 10) . I will need to know what gauge wire will be needed and what base material the secondary will need to be wound on... let me know and I will quote prices upon desire of materials...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "CajunCoiler" <cajuncoiler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Since David McKinnon is withdrawing from the custom
coil parts market, I now ponder if there will be
anyone else on the list, willing to take on the task.

The guy that runs the local neon shop wants me to
design a "large" Tesla coil for him, and neither he,
nor I have sufficient facilities to manufacture a
6", 8", or 12" secondary... we need a new source.
--
Christopher 'CajunCoiler' Mayeux
cajuncoiler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"If you have more small tools on your belt
 than Batman... you might be a coiler"