Re: Atomic Laboratories 71869 Tesla Coil

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Pete..

red-red-green should be 2.2 meg for a total of 6.6 meg
grounding the case to an earth ground will help reduce the case voltage
but it seems that the secondary will still want to arc to the case...

my first  test would be to ground the secondary base to the "water pipe" ...

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Peter Birk" <birk@xxxxxxx>

Volunteered to work on a Tesla coil from the local high school.  The physics
teacher complained the spark was weak and he also got shocks when trying to
flip the switch on the metal case.  I was able to draw ~1/4 inch sparks off
the case.  The first thing I checked was the secondary.  I expected to find
the bottom end grounded.  Instead it leads to a potted lump of plastic that
is then connectd to the metal case.  Inside the plastic I can see a large
disk capacitor labelled .01M 3KV.  Across the capacitor are three resistors
in series red-red-green.  When I put an ohm meter between the bottom of the
secondary and ground it measures 25 X 10**5.  I was expecting to see more
like 66 X 10**5.  This suggests some problem with the disk capacitor.  I
just can't figure out the purpose of this arrangement.  I'm planning to
attach a piece of ground strap to the case so it can be grounded to a water
pipe.  I'm not sure what to do with the bottom of the secondary.

Pete from Virginia