To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 9:53 PM
Subject: RE: PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration

Hi,

Well here it is!!!:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/BoxConstruction-03.JPG

The 8" spheres are about $100. All the brass was about $30. Prolly blew another $20 in drills, epoxy, and other odds... A few angles are little "out" so I might have to bend and pound a little bit :o) But it is looking great!!! The epoxy is not really dry yet so I am letting it sit overnight still. One slight change would have been to drill a little air hole in the center of the slider tubes for air pressure relief. Right now the spheres are sealed. Oddly, the reflections in the spheres really are just like the POVray program predicted :o)) Drilling the center ball was sort of a pain to get the holes and tapped threads aligned right...

Got a lot done on the base box and all too:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/BoxConstruction-02.JPG

I am using hard steel SS machine bolts on the box handles rather than the "cheap screws" that came with the handles. All top metal will be fully grounded and hopefully protect the pretty "wood stuff" from burning up ;-)) The box is a little over sized since it will have "no external cooling" vents!! The "sealed" box will be able to handle the SISG heat load while "all enclosed" ;-))

Sort of an interesting detail... I got some brass coupler nuts and drilled 13/32" holes in the corner blocks.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/BoxConstruction-04.JPG

"Forced" the couplers into the holes with a 2 ton press (hammer works too ;-)) to make nice bolt holes for the top and bottom plates.

Through the bottom, they will mount the power electronics deck and big brass ball feet along with all the SISG PIRANHA "guts". Through the top, they will mount the dragons and the acrylic plate along with the hidden primary and all. 'Opposite' bolts from inside will provide high current grounding. I did make a "big grounding stud" in the box after all ;-)

Cheers,

Terry