Re: peak current when spark gap fires

Hi,

The coil power is the energy in the cap multiplied by the BPS:

Power = 1/2 x C x V^2 x BPS = 1/2 x 10e-9 x 16970^2 x 120 == 172.8 watts. If you have a 12,000V 30mA NST that is about right.

We draw more power than one might think since the cap values we use force more current than normal out of the NST. The actual AC line current is still higher since the power factor is typically not real good.

The current does not indicate power. If we remove the coil and just dead short the cap at 120BPS, the current might be like 10,000 amps!!!

Cheers,

        Terry