Re: coupling (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:44:24 -0400
From: John <guipenguin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: coupling (fwd)

Well... I already made the secondary... 4" diameter, 5:1 ratio....

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c178/GUIPEnguin/tesla.jpg

I am planing on cutting those ceramic stand offs in half (they are
currently 1.5" tall)     and then make supports for the primary out of
1/2" thick Lexan sheets...so that the flat primary is about 1/4 inch
below the secoundary...as I can then raise the secoundary from there.

I think I am going to try and keep the toroid as close as possible to
the top of the secondary, as is shown....I think raising it to high
above the top of the secondary could cause problems??

I chose number 28 awg wire for my 20" winding height, because you
originally said quote

"the loss of inductance will cause a directly
proportional loss of potential. ie, Vsec  =  -L dI/dt

Calculate inductance for both coil designs and then compare their
inductances.  If the larger wire produces a 20% reduction in
inductance, with the same rate change per unit time of current, then
your potential difference will be 20% less.  Power and potential are
both required to produce large sparks so you really don't want to
reduce either for best performance.

My advise --- stick with 28 or 30 AWG wire for a 30 mA coil
system.   30 is the best but harder to wind."

--

I found this to be the best advise at the time after talking to other
people as well, I think it will be fine in the end.....I hope.