Re: Suggested values Spread sheet or PDF (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:39:44 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Suggested values Spread sheet or PDF (fwd)

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure if something like that exists, but there are all kinds of
opinions! Coils are run inside common TC geometry and sometimes outside
the norm. Also, there are various types of coil configurations. For
example, relatively high coupling for maggy drivers as opposed to
classic 2 coil systems with low coupling. Your right, a formal document
on "normal" parameters would be helpful. Javatc lists a range for the 2
coil systems in the help file for "coupling coefficient" (.13 to .22),
but some coils have a lower coefficient and some higher than that range.
Because it's a function of geometry and placement, the common range
depends on some common principles of placement.

Primary inductance, hmmm, that is an interesting area as far as how
much. The greater the inductance, the greater the surge impedance which
can be a good thing, but how much is too much? I'm not sure. In any
case, there is a limit as determined by the other components (cap size,
pps, secondary) for resonance.

Top load reduction is a perfectly valid means of experimentally honing
in on the change in secondary capacitance, but Javatc doesn't use this
any longer simply because it no longer needs to "guess" at the toploads
influence.

The secondary reactance certainly changes with topload. The reason is
due to the capacitive component. Reactance is determined by the
inductive and capacitive components. The topload alters the capacitive
component and thus changes the secondary's reactance.

The archives are certainly the place to find everyones opinions and
ranges. Many have listed such ranges on the TCML through the years.

In Javatc, if you have no surrounding objects, keep those inputs set to
0. However, always insert a ground plane radius (that, you can't get
away from).

I think maybe you should start writing up that document;o)) (it is
needed). But, don't write purely on what others have said in the
archives or on the list, find out through your own experiments.
Unfortunately, only a few have built coils in a wide range of geometry
and type. Most are experienced only on a small range of coils. Also keep
in mind that if two coilers were given identical basic specs of building
a coil, each would have different results due to variations in their
implementation and choice of components.

Take care,
Bart