Re: Low-power experiments with a DRSSTC

Original poster: acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> If Antonio were to place a simple 1/4W 220K resistor in series with
> say a 5pF cap from the output to ground that would fix it.  Then the
> system's voltage would rise until the loss into the resistor equals
> the power input and the plateau would be seen.  But I think Antonio
> is going for a more theoretical energy transfer analysis at this point.

I wonder what would happen if I put the resistor between the terminal
and the antenna. The antenna would then model a lossy streamer.

> Capacitive streamer loading could be reproduced by simply adjusting
> his antenna to a few more pF.  I really like the antenna idea!!  I
> sometimes want to adjust the tuning very accurately.  However, every
> time I try to adjust the primary tap point too much changes.  The
> whip antenna should do that very precise tuning very well!!

It's funny to see what is the required change in the antenna by moving
a hand close to the terminal. The antenna also compensates for the
capacitive load of an oscilloscope probe close to the terminal (not
connected, in the case of my coil, due to excessive capacitance).

> If you simply add the streamer capacitance to the terminal
> capacitance, the frequency shifts work out well.
>
> I have been thinking of making an analog Tesla coiling computer.  A
> very low power thing that would do stuff like Antonio is doing. I
> could probably find a real analog computer on Ebay for $5 these days ;-))

Something difficult to simulate at low power is streamer growth.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz