Re: remote location of NSTs - away from coil base?

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Standard pole xmfr. Pri cap bank was .06 uF. Coax was RG-58. The effect was so horrible I was lucky the xmfr wasn't killed. Never again!

X-ray cable with it's thicker dielectric may contain less capacitance per ft than coax.

Dr. Resonance

I am aware of the well documented Blumlein effect but "I" have personally
never witnessed its occurance to a noticable degree with my x-ray cables
when using them as HV transmission lines for my large Tesla coil.

Do you have a pointer to a document explaining this affect?? I did a google on it and what I found seems to indicate a transmission line reflection affect.

.
BTW, since Blumlein is a result of capacitive resonance on the line,

Could you describe what the coax capacitance is resonating with?? topology???

it seems to
me that even running plain high voltage GTO cable will still subject the cables to
some capacitance since they are going to be lying next to the ground
which would act like the opposite plate of a capacitor from the HV line
lead.? I suppose I just don't have the proper length (about 40 ft) of x-ray
cable to cause capacitive resonance with the pole pig's output to get the huge
Blumlein effect voltage gains.??

David Rieben