Re: Seibt: Visualizing Standing Waves on a Resonator by Corona

Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

To the Tesla Coil Builder's List,

Thanks for all of the good information. I'll see what can be done about getting a Seibt demo apparatus up and running at the Long Island Tesla Conference.

On a related subject, after reviewing our budget we have been able to revise the conference fee schedule downward. We hope this will result more interest in the event than has been expressed so far. See http://www.ntmsc.org/conferences/2006/registration.htm for the new reduced rates.

Best regards,
Gary Peterson

Subject: Re: Seibt: Visualizing Standing Waves on a Resonator by Corona

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>, et al

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Tesla list wrote:

> No pics of sparks yet. I've found the only way I can see the corona
> is in full and complete darkness. This isn't the type of coil that is
> spectacular like a Tesla Coil. This coil "really" needs to be
> complete darkness to see the corona wave patterns.

I wonder if the best gas to use is air.

Argon at 1atm pressure is fairly easy to experiment with.  WIth a big
transparent plastic bag, and Argon bleeding in via a tube at the bottom,
soon you have a pure argon environment.  Argon is a bit heavy, plus it's
cold as it exits the regulator, so it tends to pool at the bottom and push
the air out.   SUpposedly the same is true of Neon, but I haven't messed
with it yet.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website