Re: remote location of NSTs - away from coil base?

At 04:27 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:
Original poster: Gomez Addams <gomezaddams@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sep 6, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Tesla list wrote:

Hi Gomez,

The connection really isnt that critical since small amperage is
involved.

What about something like Anderson PowerPole connectors. Fairly rugged, easy to assemble, cheap, etc.

I've built homemade HV connectors using banana plugs and jacks with plastic pipe. A piece of 1/2" pipe about 6" long with the jack in a pipe cap makes a nice recessed socket. A piece of plastic rod that fits snugly in the pipe with the banana plug sticking out of the end makes the plug. Some cleverness with the plumbing bins should even allow you to create a double recessed plug/jack like you see on modern DMMs.

You can also use PL-259 and SO-239 (UHF connectors) with the dielectric drilled out and replaced in a similar scheme (which gives you a "screwdown" attachment). This scheme is VERY popular with commercial HV power supplies.

Yes, I know.  This is the fifth or sixth coil I've built.

The connector needs to have the proper spacing for the 20KV+
voltage it will have.  I bet a banana plug (with proper spacing of
course) will work just fine.  These things are good for like 3amps
I believe and I dont think you have a 14400 3 amp (43 KVA) PIG.
Alternatively, you could just bolt the cable to make the connection.

I'll come up with something.  This is mostly a cosmetic / convenience
issue.
I may just be forced to put the NST in the TC base as I have done in
the past.
At least then the control panel will be a lot easier to carry!

 - G.