Re: High speed Tesla spark photographs - WOW!!!

Hi Peter and All,

This is wonderful!!!

I think these are the first high-speed arc propagation photos taken of Tesla coil streamers!!! The quality is amazing for such a simple setup!!

This is a remarkable photo (my screen saver now):

http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSpark1Singel.jpg

To illustrate what it represents, consider a typical arc to ground as seen on an oscilloscope as in this photo from Dan.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/DansPictureGroundArc.jpg

The waveform on the top terminal builds up until the voltage arcs over to ground. If I turn that picture on end and put it beside Peters arc photo you can see the same situations in time going from bottom to top.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PetesPictureWComents.jpg

Peter is simply taking pictures of the streamers through a fast spinning mirror. Thus, he is able to see each "cycle" of a bang with 1/10,000,000 second resolution!! Here is his setup:

http://tesladownunder.com/HVBrokenSparksRotatingMirrorMotor.jpg

http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSetup.jpg

Be sure to check out this:

http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSpark1SinglePartPowerArc.jpg

http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSparkPowerArcGaps.jpg

The single streamer "pulse" has "gaps" in it!!! I would "guess" that the dark areas have higher conductivity due to the air being hotter and in avalanche more. Not sure really...

You can see the electrode "glow" from ionized air in this picture on the right:

http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSparkElectrodeglowDelay.jpg

http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSparkElectrodeglow.jpg

The streamer seems to have an after glow too!! And a tiny right direct streamer when the current peaked at the top tip of the electrode!

Wild stuff!!!  Many more questions than answers!!!

Great work Peter!!!!!!!! This is probably the most important tool to study coils to come along in many years!!!

I am wildly trying to get Peter's idea going myself too:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/StreakCam-01.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/StreakCam-02.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/StreakCam-03.JPG

A motor will spin the aluminum block with mirrors on four sides at up to 20,000 RPM (probably only needs 10,000 RPM though). Super simple to do!!! Spent all morning reading the instruction on how to run the camera manually %:o)) Waiting on the motor and mirrors to arrive now... The Lexan camera shield is in case it goofs up ;o))

Cheers,

        Terry