RE: High speed Tesla spark photographs

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Terry, Peter:

I'm not "getting" something.  For Peter's image
http://tesladownunder.com/HVRotMirrorTeslabigSpark1Singel.jpg

I get how each vertical trace is displaced due to the rotating mirror,
but I don't get why it's dark between each trace.  I would have guessed
that it would show up as a smooth vertical smear for the duration of the
bang.  Isn't the arc luminosity more or less constant during the
duration of a bang?  Sure, it starts at zero, increases to some peak
value, and decays, but I wouldn't guess that it oscillates from zero to
peak at Fres.

Is there some other opto-mechanical chopper in addition to the sweeping
mirror?

Also, Peter - what film speed and lens aperture did you use?  I'm
wondering if a garden-variety digicam is fast enough.  I assume the coil
operated in single shot mode?

Thanks, Gary