Re: Big Toroids, collective conscious brain storm

Hi All,

I did something similar on the last 6.25" x 21" toroid I built for a 4.5" coil. I simply bought 6" al flex tubing, formed it into a toroid and joined the two ends with duct tape.

I then bought a couple boxes of "plaster of paris" and a patching mix (made by the same company). I simply made a 50/50 mix of the two (the plaster of paris sets pretty quick, has a very smooth texture, but is more difficult to sand). Thus, mixing the two resulted in a nice smooth hard surface that didn't require OT on the sanding. I simply did 1/2 the toroid one day and the other 1/2 the next (filling in the ridges of the al flex tubing). I spent the next couple of days with the inner area and outer area. When all was dry, I simply sanded it into a smooth toroid.

I then used 2" wide strips of Al foil (contact cement on 1 side) until the entire form was covered. As each strip was installed, I used a large Craftsman socket to smooth each strip. When all was done, the form was smooth to the touch without flaws, unlike other forms I had covered with Al foil. Just using a very smooth form in the first place gets you miles ahead of the game.

I used 2 of those 8" salad bowls in the center, back to back and a small screw to join them at their center. There was just enough air gap (1/2") that tightening the screw pressed the the salad bowls against the inner toroid walls holding it nice and firm for mounting and made an excellent electrical connection to the toroid itself.

It worked out nice and is tough enough for everyday "garage" use (and far less weight than spun aluminum toroids, of which I have).

Although you may "see" lines of the tape in the photos below, you can't feel them. However, even for a toroid with Al foil covering which is perfectly smooth to the touch, the sparks still will break out along the edges of the tape which this particular image captures.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/s2847.jpg

However, it doesn't affect performance:
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/s2816.jpg

Sorry I don't know the names of the boxes of mixes I used, but I believe the plaster was in a red box (like 4"x3"x8") and the patching powder was in the exact same box size but of a different color. The boxes were next to each other at ACE Hardware. It's a simple way to make a nice toroid and size really only changes how much compound is needed. I don't remember paying much for the boxes of plaster and patch. It's an economical means of building a nice toroid (granted, not cosmetically ideal, but certainly electrically ideal).

I don't like the copper tubing idea. I've thought that one through over the years and it's just too labor intensive and too expensive.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi,

Suppose a drywall toroid (simple sanding, yet fragile at this stage) was
made than coated with epoxy (sprayed)?. This would greatly increase the
strength and keep it very smooth. Perhaps Dr Resonance's paint will do the
trick? Otherwise the challenge is to coat plastic or something like that and
use it as a grounded target to discover the best enduring coating. D.C., can
you use your paint as a target?

Jim Mora