Machining an Egg

Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>

Man, that's a strange sounding subject, but applicable nonetheless...

As you all know, I'm in the process of building a replica of Tesla's Egg of
Columbus. I have a variac core that I'm planning to use and I've pretty well
decided on using a plastic automotive wheel cover turned upside down and
trimmed down as the platter. It's either that or a plastic lens from a light
fixture. The wheel cover is thicker and more solid which is why I'll
probably go that route.

But you can't very well build an Egg of Columbus without an egg... I'd like
to have one made of solid copper 2.5 to 3.0 inches in diameter by probably
3.5 to 4.0 inches tall. The onlinemetals.com site has 3" round copper stock
and you can buy in any length. I just need someone with a lathe to cut or
trim an egg out of it. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cameron