Re: High speed Tesla spark photographs

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

What you are referring to is the Banjo effect seen on a windy day which is just the spark gap firing rate of 100/120Hz for a synch gap (or 1100Hz with my fast asynch gap ). Shown here
http://tesladownunder.com/T6_windy.JPG

The ring up and down effects seen in the streak camera is a very different thing and is 1000 times faster than a sync gap It shows each cycle of the 100kHz secondary resonace and growth of streamers.

Peter

Original poster: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

When running my small coil outdoors for my Halloween "Mad Scientist" display, on breezy nights I've seen a visual display much like the results of the rotating mirror photos. The moving sheet of air results in two streamers close together, then a space, then two or three more streamers -- you can visualize the 120 Hz modulation of the streamer brightness and current just by looking at the bands of the streamers in the breeze -- a neat effect. It works best when the arc is being directed to a grounded stick, and the arc path is perpendicular to the direction of the airflow. Perhaps you could reproduce this indoors with a big box fan. Anyone up to try? Might need some sort of arrangement to make laminar airflow -- don't know if a box fan output would be too turbulent, but it might work if it were far enough away.
Dave