RE: humor: tesla power supply

Original poster: Ben McMillen <spoonman534@xxxxxxxxx>

Mark, All,
Right you are. Modern day diesel driven gen sets in diesel-electric locos are on the order of 4400 - 6000 hp. I don't remember what the generator delivered, but it was quite alot (enough to get a 200 ton loco down the track and then some).. Also 3 phase, with your choice of AC or DC depending on the application (I don't remember which is which).. These were also good for stationary power..

Coiling In Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Mark Dunn"

Justin:

I don't think its so much. I think the 1.4 mW surprised you and us. If
written as 1400 kW we would not be so surprised. At 3 phase, 4160 VAC,
its around 200 amps. Less than 2000 HP which is not uncommon for a
motor in a production plant. 4000 HP motors(and larger) are also quite
common.

Mark