Re: Tesla's large pancake coil

Original poster: wysock@xxxxxxx
Hello Bill B. & company.

There is experimental proof that Tesla's "pancake" design of coils are (most
likely), the most efficient that can be achived. Please see Jeff Behary's web site: http://www.turnofthecenturyelectrotheripymusem.com. Jeff has recreated (on a table-top
scale), many of Tesla's "pancake" designs, which includes refinements by others
(who were contemporaries of Tesla's at the time), including Kinraide and others.

If you look at my web site: http://www.ttr.com, and click on the "Model 13" pages, you will see after you scrool down, that there is a white paper that I first presented at the (now defunct) ITS (International Tesla Society). That paper starts out with my
proposal for building Model 14M.  Look at the drawings and see about this part
of my proposal. It was to utilize a "hybrid" version of Tesla's "pancake coil", not unlike how modern r.f. coil assemblies are built today. That is to say, not a single turn in a flat spiral like Tesla, but rather, a cascading number of turns
progressing from the outside diameter of the inductance, to the inner portion.
Small r.f. coil assemblies of today, use this design in what is called a "basket weave"
pattern.  This technique reduces the total amount of distributed capacitance of
the total coil assemby, without sacrficing on the total amount of inductance. I believe it was Fritz Lowenstein (a long-time assistant to Tesla), who came up with
this concept.

Bill B. I think you are right in surmizing that this form of construction does in fact, "shape" the electrostatic lines of force around the inductance, just as a toroid
does on top of a classical Tesla coil.  My hope was to bring the "best of
both worlds" to reality. Unfortunately at the time, my "financial partners" did
not agree and told me to "go back to the drawing board"...which I did, and
thus, Model 13M (as a 1/2 scale compromise without the hybrid pancake
master oscillator), was born.

Best regards,
Bill Wysock.