Re: Homemade Caps are a Health Risk?

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/2/07 12:47:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
The cheap price of a glass jar cap is a terrible risk as compared to
a standard MMC cap which is not really all that expensive.  I compare
taking this risk akin to driving without a seatbelt.  You may get
away with it for a long time, and then, bang!

Hi,

If you are a coiler to whom a "few hundred dollars" is a nominal expense and DIY is not of interest to you, then by all means go for the MMC. If, on the other hand, this represents a major dollar investment for you, then work in a well-ventilated area, keep your runs short, and remember that Tesla coil had been around by the thousands for 100 years before the first MMC. Of course the MMC is safer, and any professional who has to work with one eye on their liability policy would be a fool not to r use and recommend them. Ditto for MMC cap retailers. These are strictly my opinions, but IMO the risk is more akin to lack of side-impact airbags than lack of seatbelts, but then I come from a fortunate family where no one in the last 100 years (5 generations) has died from the lack of this recent invention.

Be aware of the dangers and proceed with appropriate care,

Matt D.

See what's free at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503>AOL.com.