Re: frequency vs core saturation

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Above 26 kV corona problems begin to appear and dramatically increase. Most caps like a lot of current so 12 or 14.4 kV is all that is necessary for a good high performance coil. In some cases, for a coil with a 30-40 ft spark, experimenters have series connected the secs of two pole xmfrs for 28.8 kV which works very well. In most case, no need to go above 14.4 kV.

The extra insulation problems begin to require much more expensive caps. At 28.8 kV we use pulse duty caps rated for 100 kV DC and they are very expensive --- at 14.4 kV pulse caps rated for 60 kV DC work excellent. The 100 kV caps cost 3 times as much due to the internal problems dealing with corona and RF tracking across the foil edge.

It's much better to run at 14.4 kV and increase the current which charges the caps faster allowing higher rep rates to re-ionize the surround air producing longer sec spark channels. With most of our pole xmfr operated coils we usually run 575 bks/sec which rapidly "grows" very long sparks.

Changing the 60 Hz freq would require an electronic circuit, and again, more costs especially for power levels of 4 kVA and above.

Your theory is correct but the practical application of this theory would cost much more money than the current practice of using rather inexpensive 14.4 kV pole xmfrs for high power levels.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey all,
Here is a question for all you mathy theoretical technical guys. I heard In physics class tonight, that if you use a higher frequency you can use a smaller core for a transformer. In my mind this means, if you use a higher frequency, you can pump more voltage through your primary, and consequently get more out of your secondary. This means (provided you have enough insulation) you could use a much higher voltage in your TC primary, with the same transformer, by changing the input voltage and frequency, without saturating the transformer core. So my question is, is this beneficial in any way? Is this even true, or is my logic flawed? I (as of right now) have no means with which to experiment with frequency and input voltage, but mabey somebody else out there does. Thanks a heap.
Scott Bogard.

Mortgage rates near historic lows. Refinance $200,000 loan for as low as $771/month* https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f8&disc=y&vers=689&s=4056&p=5117