Re: MMC Cap .005 uf 40KV

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike, Gerry,

following Terry's testing, the WIMA FKP1 caps are good. See

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm
for the mehhod of testing, and

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/good-bad.txt
for some of the results.

In 2002 Terry tested some caps for me, a WIMA FKP1 33nF 6000VDC wihin them. This Wima however is no more in production at WIMA. Terry's answer of then, pasted in here:

"Terrell W. Fritz" wrote:

Hi Kurt,

I got the caps tested
First the smaller ERO MKP 1845  68nF  1600VDC

With 3 amps at 350kHz going through it, it heated to 5.21C.  Thus, it can
take 4 amps RMS (for a 10C rise in temperature).
High voltage test 1.6, 1.8, 3.4, 3.8, 4.4  - good
Construction - Film on film

For the larger  ERO MKP 1845  100nF  2000VDC

With 4 amps at 350kHz going through it, it heated to 6.55C.  Thus, it can
take 5 amps RMS (for a 10C rise in temperature).
High voltage test 1.2, 1.2, 1.6, 1.6, 1.6, 1.6 - fail (this cap looked used)
construction - Film on film

For the WIMA FKP1 33nF 6000VDC

With 3.9 amps at 350kHz going through it, it heated to 6.16C.  Thus, it can
take 5 amps RMS (for a 10C rise in temperature).
High voltage test 2.4, 4.5, 6.9, 10 - good
Construction not checked but foil on film

So the ERO caps are film on film which is NOT recommended due to the end
plates burning out were they connect to the thin film.  The 100nF ERO cap
seemed to have high voltage breakdown problems but it looked used so
perhaps it was damaged.  The WIMA cap did fine and this type is well known
to be good.

Let me know if you have questions or something is not clear.

Cheers,

        Terry

I've buildt and used an MMC out of 96 of the above 0.033uF/6kV Wimas, and it's working fine as now. A picture is here:

http://twfpowerelectronics.com/~kurt/MMC3.jpg

Cheers, Kurt

Tesla list wrote:

The end attachments to the plates are not as robust as the 942
series.  As a result, the Ipeak spec is lower.  If you have the specs
for the two series, you should compare the Ipeak, Irms, ESR, Vac, and
Vdc specs.  I only have the 942 specs.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "H.S. J." <hsheltonj@xxxxxxxxx>

How about doing a bulk buy of CDE 940C30S33K-F?

They are .33uF @ 3000VDC (750VAC)

-Shelton