Re: Smaller than resonance?

Hi Justin,               <typos fixed>

Original poster: Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just to clarify, you're talking about making these measurements on a
ballasted transformer, yes?

An unballasted PIG doesnt make any sense to me for JL and TC disruptive coils. Even a HVDC power supply using a PIG should be ballasted for safety reasons IMO.

If you treat a ballasted PIG as a black box HV AC source, it seems like it can be treated the same way as a NST from an electrical performance perspective (just a matter of scale).

This would seem to dovetail nicely with
John's comments about the resonant value changing with the changes in
the inductive ballast.  So, I should be able to take several
measurements with the adjustable ballast in different positions and
calculate the resonant cap value for each, possibly even graphing
the results for extra credit.

You could, or you can just calculate the Cres value as a function of the current level you ballast for.

Gerry R.