Re: Ballasting the secondary side of transformers

Hi Steve,

It's come up a few times through the years, but not often enough to shed much light. Although I've looked at it from time to time, I really never dug deep to find out for myself. Inductive ballasting has always dominated and 98% of coilers take it for granted. I personally have never looked at alternative ballast from a practical standpoint, but I've hit the point where I'm smoking big variacs, and although I could upgrade to even larger more robust units, I then thought it may be wise to look at alternatives before just going with what is easy. We appear to not have a definitive answer, so that is why the post is "posted".

Take care,
Bart

BTW, it surprises me to see many of the "experienced" coilers just now
looking at alternative ballasting techniques... this seems something
that would come up the first time you even looked at using a piggy.