From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 4/12/2007 4:34 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tesla coil on Ebay; 80-300' lightning?

Not very well. Larger secondary diameters are needed. Given turn
requirements to meet inductance's needed, 8" is too small to be
practical. You would end up trying to wind a 6.5" diameter coil and
it would have to be helical adding to the difficulty with coupling,
placement, and mechanical winding. Either external or internal is
electrically/magnetically equivalent, but practicality is best
external with that small of a coil.

Take care,
Bart