Re: Small VTTC's

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 4/13/07 7:01:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Dan,

A VTTC can be made so small that it will only give 1/4"
spark length.

I once made a small VTTC which had a secondary about
1" dia x 6" tall.  The vacuum tube was a 6164 small transmitting
tube (or something similar to 6164, I'm not sure of the tube
number).  But it had a max plate voltage rating of 600 volts.
I used cheap capacitors for the tank and all.  The unit
was just cobbled together from junk as a test.  After some
adjustment, the coil gave a 1.5" long spark or so.  The spark
had a fan-like look and actually looked rather nice.  It ran
for about 1 minute, then failed.  I think I replaced the
tube with a television tube, then it worked for another minute
before a more fatal failure occured.  Of course if the coil
was built correctly, it would have been reliable.

John

Original poster: Dan Williams <coilerdude@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm wanting to build a miniature VTTC

Thinking I will use a long pill bottle for the
secondary
Wondering if anyone has built a small VTTC and would
be willing to give up some gem's of info?

I am currently working on a small VTTC using a 3C24
triode
The secondary is wound on a spice container.
The dimmensions are 13" high by 6X6

Pictures will be on my website soon.

My aim is to build the smallest VTTC still capable of
breakout.

Any pearls of wisdom greatfully appreciated!

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.