Tesla coil tuning

Original poster: "Breneman, Chris" <brenemanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

I'm thinking about trying to make a digital Tesla coil tuner based on (probably) an Atmel microcontroller, and was trying to think of various ways to determine the resonant frequency digitally. My first idea was to make something similar to Terry's TCT, but digital. ie. sweep a frequency range when connected to the primary/secondary circuits and see which frequency passes the highest/lowest current. The problems with this are that it's not trivial to accurately do this digitally because of the harmonics inherent in any digital square wave and the difficulty in accurately measuring RMS voltage/current on a waveform that's not perfectly sinusoidal without carefully calibrated equipment. This method would also be relatively slow. Then I had another idea ... but I'm not sure if it would work. Would it be possible to calculate the DC resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the primary and secondary (and from that, the resonant frequency) by applying three sine wave (generated by external oscillators) of different frequencies, measuring the current for each, and solving a systems of equations? This method would be much faster and would solve many of the problems above. Any feedback? Also, if anyone else has any other ideas for methods, they are very welcome. If I get it finished, I'll post the schematic, parts list, microcontroller code, and hex dump of the code. It should be a pretty cheap way of easily and accurately measuring resonant frequency (if it works). Atmel microcontrollers are all <$10 a piece (usually around $5 or less from retailers), and the other components (like cheap LCD display, resistors, caps, etc.) would be pretty cheap as well.

Anyway, thanks for any feedback,
Chris