Re: Tesla the man

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Phil,

Probably Jim Lux will tell us the real reason, but if I remember correctly, it has to do with the amount of ionization in the lower Earth orbits. Anything of higher voltage and/or AC will start to cause corona problems. That and solar panels output DC. Why add the weight of inverters, when all you need is the panels and storage batteries. The biggest problem is trying to get that weight into orbit. Launch costs are very expensive.

I think I have covered the main reasons.  Jim could probably add more.

David E Weiss

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 4/25/07 8:34:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>and the
>International Space Station, which uses 120V DC power everywhere.

    Why?

-Phil LaBudde