Large Plasma Globe Calculations

Original poster: "M G" <gt4awd@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi everyone, just wondering if these calculations I made seem to be close to correct? I remember hearing someone say that a 6" plasma globe would probably send 4mm streamers in the air instead of the gas filled sphere. So if that is not correct then these calculations would be way off.

Standard Six Inch Plasma Globe
& Spark Gap Tesla Coil;

Compare Chart

************************
S_IG = Spark In Gas
S_IA = Spark In Air
************************

------------------------
Six Inch Plasma Globe;

( 76.20mm ) 3.00in S_IG

( 04.00mm ) 0.16in S_IA
------------------------

************************
76/4 = 19 (?)
711.2 x 19 = 13,512.80
************************

------------------------
Medium/Small 9/30 SG Coil;

( 13512.80mm ) 532.00in 44.30ft S_IG

( 711.20mm ) 28.00in 2.30ft S_IA

Sphere Diameter 88.60ft
------------------------

------------------------
Medium Sized 9/60 SG Coil;

( 19304.00mm ) 760.00in 63.30ft S_IG

( 1016.00mm ) 40.00in 3.30ft S_IA

Sphere Diameter 126.60ft

Medium/Large 15/60 SG Coil;

( 26790.00mm ) 1055.00in 87.90ft S_IG

( 1410.00mm ) 51.50in 4.60ft S_IA

Sphere Diameter 175.80ft

If the calculations are correct, that would be one amazingly huge Plasma Globe to see. Would it even be possible to build one that large? I was thinking and the coil would need to be elevated to the exact center of the sphere to work correctly. I would think the primary would need to be heavily insulated if the coil was in the sphere. Something special for the spark gap would have to be thought up, or just use a VTTC, maybe. Of course a Glass sphere that large would cost thousands of dollars to make though, if not more. I doubt this is something any of us on the list could build.

Love Games? Gamesville is Waiting for You... Free Online Games, Fat Cash $ Prizes Plus Bingo, Solitaire, Poker & Much More! <http://www.gamesville.com?if_Event=LYCOSMAILgvilletxt>http://www.gamesville.com