Re: neon rings around secondary?

Original poster: Dan Williams <coilerdude@xxxxxxxxx>

The problem I am seeing is that the E-field of the coil will have the neons on the whole time the coil is running, thereby eliminating much hope of any cycling.

The neons should live through the ordeal fine.

Dan

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Brett Hays"

I just saw a music video which gave me an idea for the coil we run in
the Frankenstein section of our haunted house each year.

I realize that all of the HV effects in this video are computer
generated, but I am wondering if I could do something similar. I
have a number of the neon rings that kids put around the woofers in
speaker boxes. I know how to make them cycle, etc.

If I put them around the secondary on the coil would they be
instantly fried, or is this possible.

BTW, the effect I am talking about starts a little past 1:00 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nogE0KdG5M8

Check out <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->new cars at Yahoo! Autos.