Re: transformers, MMC capacitors, primary Delrin holders (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:23:49 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: transformers, MMC capacitors, primary Delrin holders (fwd)

Scott -

The WalMart cutting boards are polyethylene, as is every cutting board I've
ever seen sold in North America. PE is soft, semi-translucent white, easily
"shaved" with a sharp knife, even can be knicked with a hard fingernail. A
quick field identification can be made by heating a corner with a butane
lighter until it just starts to smoke; the odor will be distinctly that of
hot paraffin wax.

You definitely DON'T want to use nylon (wherever you may get it) as an
insulating material in any high-voltage application. Nylon is extremely
hygroscopic (at least for a polymeric material) and will easily surface
track.

Regards,
Scott Hanson