RE: Resonance equations (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:53:57 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Resonance equations (fwd)

Hi Bert,

Thanks for the explanation and link.

The coils I'm using in the test setup are inductively coupled.
However, the equations I'm using to produce resonance are different
from the values in frequency splitting.

Whereas frequency splitting is about multiple frequencies in a
particular Tesla coil run, I can produce true resonance (as indicated
by an oscilloscope) at three different operating frequencies and
inductances, all else being the same in the circuits.

Let me try to explain it this way.  I measure the inductance of one
coil with a signal generator.  Then I can tune the other coil to
resonance by adjusting the inductance and capacitance to one of three
different equations.  Each coil has three different resonances, which
are not harmonics or octaves of the others.

These three frequencies always follow the same proportions.  So if you
would normally calculate your resonance using the standard resonance
equation, there is also a resonance at 1.463 times the first frequency
and also 1.772 times the first frequency.  Of course, we see the value
of 1.772 all the time, such as in John Freau's empirical spark length
formula.

Dave

David W. Thomson
Quantum AetherDynamics Institute