RE: HV accident (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 22:03:44 -0600
From: S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: HV accident (fwd)

Wyatt,

What works for me are a couple of 1 K power resistors, several inches long
to avoid arc-over, each mounted on a pair of 12 inch long HDPE handles.  The
two resistors are connected together with about a foot of HV wire.  The
other ends of the resistors have a couple inches of stiff wire protruding
out which are used to contact the two sides of a capacitor.  This quickly
discharges the caps without the severe stress of directly shorting them.  I
also monitor the HV with my controller panel meter to ensure the voltage
really does go to zero.  Once it is zero, you can then add a shorting jumper
to ensure the caps stay at zero volts.

Bottom line - don't directly short capacitor banks.  Instead, discharge them
through a resistor that can withstand the peak voltage across it.

--Steve