Re: Capacitor Safety Discharge Method (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 06:26:49 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Capacitor Safety Discharge Method (fwd)

At 05:45 AM 8/7/2007, you wrote:

> [...]

Think inexpensive pneumatic air cylinders...  You can get cylinders
surplus for less than $10.. look for something with 1/2" bore (or
smaller,even) and 3-4" stroke.  Make the fixed electrodes something
like 1/2" copper pipe, and have the air cylinder bridget them with
another piece of pipe at right angles.  To make it fail safe(r)..
spring (or gravity) load it so that air pressure is applied to remove
the short.

Then, you need a cheap solenoid valve (surplus again, or, sprinkler
valves work,but they're bulky) and a cheap small compressor (there
are lots of these around.. you don't need much volume, but you do
need 40 psi or more.  An aquarium pump won't work.  You want what's
called a 3 way or 4 way valve.

pneumatics are a great way to work with HV, because the plastic
tubing carrying the air is an insulator, so the cylinder and all the
mechanical parts can "float" at HV.

Jim