Re: coil spark size??? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:24:26 EDT
From: FutureT@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: coil spark size??? (fwd)

OBITS are somewhat fragile.  They should have a Terry Filter to  protect them
especially if they are pushed.  Using a single 10kV, 23ma OBIT, and a  small
0.0015uF mica cap, and a 4 section silver faced static gap, I got 13"
sparks.

Later I tried using a resonant value cap, and got 25" sparks or so.  I  think
I used a rotary gap in this case.  The OBIT was destroyed within  seconds
and sparks were jumping across the porcelain HV bushing.  LTR  operation
did not seem to work well with this OBIT if I remember correctly.

John