Re: Why am I getting small sparks? Am I underpowered? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 14:17:48 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why am I getting small sparks? Am I underpowered? (fwd)

Hi Trevor, Scott,

Trevor, when Scott is defining how to adjust the gap here, he is
absolutely correct. This is the proper method of adjusting the gap to
prevent overvolting the NST.

Regarding multisegment gaps, I've had good ones and bad ones. The ones I
dislike the most is when a coiler builds a series of multisegment copper
pipes on a piece of laminate (where the gaps are all at the same
horizontal level). I've never had great performance with those gap
styles, but also when I built them, I used 1/2" diameter copper tubing
(I later realized that was a bad choice). Once I went to a TCBOR style
multisegment gap, performance was much better even using the 1/2"
diameter copper tubing. Once I went to large 1.25" copper tubing,
performance was fantastic! The large surface area of the tubing greatly
aids the ability to maintain a constant temperature over relatively high
power ranges. I use a high powered squirrel cage fan which sucks the air
into the pvc tubing across all surfaces of the copper tubes. I'm not
sure of the cfm value, but it's high. For pig power, I use a G10/pure
tungsten 3-phase variable rotary.

Scott, I think you dumped the multisegment gap too soon. They can be
built to do far better than most other static gaps including sucker
gaps. Sucker gaps are good, but a properly built TCBOR style gap will
out perform it by 1 or 2 KW (yipes, the sucker gap guys will hate me
saying that!).

Here's a quick pic of a simple high performance multisegment gap:
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/s2752.jpg

Note, I epoxied a pvc tube onto the fan itself and painted it green (the
only color onhand at the time). The white pvc simply is pushed into the
green pvc tube. The white pvc has the 1.25" copper tubes epoxied in
place. Very simple to build. In this pic is a similar white pvc with
solid brass electrodes. They sucked compared to the copper tubing (good
for a few seconds but quickly heated and could not dissipate the thermal
energy well). This simple to construct gap allows me to insert any
electrode arrangement I desire. Since the large copper tubing was used,
the performance was better than anything else since. The white pvc I
epoxy my electrodes onto is simply a cap. I cut out one end of the cap
and left a 1/4" lip which the electrodes rest on while the epoxy cures.
Using epoxy to secure electrodes also allows precision gap distance
setup between each electrode (I lay a feeler gauge between the
electrodes during the cure to ensure the pipes are perfectly parallel
and at the gap distance desired. Cure 1 electrode at a time.). I've run
3 to 4 KW on this gap regularly. This gap is used more than any other
gap in my collection simply because it performs damn well.

When I started multisegment gaps, I was at first disappointed. It took a
lot of tinkering to finally figure out "why" a gap does well and "why"
it does not. A gap that performs well will "maintain" a "constant"
temperature (within reason) that allows a stable arc voltage on each
break without varying over a given power range. That is the key
ingredient. Even a 2 bolt gap can do well if air is used and the power
is low enough to not cause a major variation. But, as power is
increased, a simple 2 bolt gap just cannot be stabilized and performance
will plunder. When you hit the 5 to 10 KW range, a rotary gap becomes
the best choice.

Take care,
Bart