Re: pain from coil strikes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:46:39 -0700
From: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pain from coil strikes (fwd)

RF burns are some of the most painful and take a long time to heal.

Unlike LF AC or DC, RF does penetrate the body. An RF burn destroys
the nerve endings and desiccates the surrounding tissue and goes deep
and takes a long time to heal. Because or nerve damage, there is not
an immediate sensation of severe pain but as the body starts to heal,
it will hurt a lot!
The severity of the burn is a function of duration, area of contact
and power of the source.
A serous RF burn can cause permanent internal damage that is not
obvious because it does not hurt immediately and many not manifest
itself for days.

If you  are taking an arc over a large surface area, chances are you
will not be harmed, provided you are insulated from ground.
By holding a metal tube or rod of at least 1/2" in diameter, you can
take a TC arc of a large magnitude without harm as the current is
spread over a large area and the metal is taking the point contact
BUT, if you point a finger and have it take the arc, the current
density or current per unit of area is very concentrated and damage will occur.

I take arcs from a 12" coil all the time holding a metal rod or
wrench (remember to take rings off tho) without harm or even
sensation, but taking a direct hit to the flesh is another subject.

Frequency has a lot to do with it too, a small pancake coil that
throws a 3" hot arc will give a strange hot/ cold sensation and can
be uncomfortable.
This approaches diathermy ranges where heating the body by RF occurs.

Microwaves are a different animal too. A common microwave oven will
probably burn a hand or destroy an eye but not affect a large body
mass such as a thigh or internal organs. MW's heat from the outside
in and to penetrate a large mass, you would need a lot of power, like
standing in front of a 50 KW radar.

Medically, they made a machine called a Microtherm to heat body
tissues using microwaves. The output was about 5-10 watts and the
heating intensity was determined by the shape of the antenna and the
distance to the patient. I have such a machine and the original manual.

Frank