X ray tubes (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:42:02 -0400
From: Jared Dwarshuis <jdwarshuis@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Pupman <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: X ray tubes

Hello Bill:

(I like your electricity articles, nice job, hats off!!)

I worked with aircraft inspection ( about 20 years ago) where we used very
powerful x ray machines that would blast through several inches of aluminum
for inspecting wing root bolts on dc 8.

Those x ray machines are killers!

They make you wear a badge, at the end of the day the badge gets sent in.

One day a guy took his coat off and left it near the machine by accident. An
ambulance showed up a few days latter to take the guy to the hospital. (They
were not interested in his story!)

True some people have survived some incredible ionizing radiation exposure
rates. One guy was at ground zero and survived Hiro Shima  (still alive i
believe!).  But about 100,000 people did not survive Hiro Shima. Most died
within seconds, days or weeks. A few survived months and fewer still lived
years afterwards (usually with severe health problems)

The human body can keep up with most types of natural background radiation
pretty well.  But these are rather small daily exposures.  It's so  un-cool
to get a whole days exposure  (or months exposure as above) within a few
seconds, and thats what x ray machines (can) do.