Re: eBay x-ray tubes Radium, Tritium (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:39:05 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: eBay x-ray tubes Radium, Tritium (fwd)

Tritium stuff is illegal in the states, because it is "an integral part of
thermonuclear devices (fusion reactors)" although it is sold a lot.  We used
to use Tritium compasses in ROTC a lot, they were old 70's ish, and didn't
really glow anymore.
Scott Bogard."

	Not so.  Take a look at "http://www.self-powered.com/"; [site appears to be down at the moment]; they manufacture and sell emergency lighting systems using tritium glow tubes.  I have one of their emergency "EXIT" signs [Model 700-C-20" on my desk at work.  Manufactured in 1992 and still puts out plenty of light.  According to the label it contains a maximum of 20 curies of Tritium and "possession, use, and transfer" does require a license.  In this case the license is held by my employer and the sign got knocked off the wall by a fork lift.  It will go back up when the plaster is prepared.  Consists of a number of "glow tubes" having phosphor-coated walls and containing tritium and the label also says "don't open tubes without permission of the NRC".  The amount of tritium is negligible and the manufacturer's data sheet points out that there is no health hazard if the tubes are broken in open air.

	I suspect that there are many other manufacturers of similar products - this just happens to be the one I've seen.

Ed