Re: first post (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:29:08 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: first post (fwd)

Terri -

First question is about your HV power supply transformers. These are
nominally rated at 4500 volts RMS, 400ma. I assume that you intend to
connect them in series to obtain 9KV RMS AC output? Peak-to-peak voltage
will be about 12.7KV.  Are you sure that the transformer insulation will
withstand this? One good flashover at this much current may destroy the
transformers.

How will you limit secondary the current to 225ma?

Some tesla coil builders have had failures with the  Maxwell 37667
capacitors (.03uF @ 35KV). They are rated for 25K amps peak current, 20A RMS
current, but only 15% voltage reversal. Since all of these capacitors appear
to have been removed from medical lasers as they approached the end of their
"rated" life, there is some risk involved in using them. Since they usually
sell for $60-100 each, I think you would be much better off using a
conservatively-designed MMC using the well-proven Cornell-Dubilier type 942
film/foil capacitors. These have proven to be very reliable in Tesla coil
service.

If this is really your first "serious" coil, you might consider starting
with a single transformer, and using a voltage doubler on the output to
build a DC resonant-charged coil. Slightly more complex then an AC spark-gap
coil, but the only added components are a charging inductor (can be made
from 2 microwave oven transformers, or hand-wound) and a high-voltage
de-Q'ing diode.(See Richie Burnett's website for a detailed description of
Tesla coil DC resonant charging.)

400ma secondary current (or your stated 225ma, if you current limit it by
some means) is a lot of current by Tesla coil standards, and may pose
quenching problems. You might be better off getting the system running at a
lower power level with a single transformer, then adding more power later.

Regards,
Scott Hanson