RE: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:07:35 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

The biggest problem with a gap in a vacuum is that air is a necessary
component of a spark gap.  It's the plasma between the electrodes that
conducts the current through the gap.  No air, no plasma, and no
current.

If your spark gap is louder than the sparks coming off your top load,
then something is seriously wrong.  There's no such thing as a quiet
coil.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> From: Timka <tomasdoc2002@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron
>

> Anyone tried before to make a vacuum jar rotary spark gap?
>
>   I have a nice deep vacuum pump and I'm thinking to make a rotary
spark gap
> using 10,000 rpm hard drive motor with attached tungsten electrodes.
Everything
> will be assembled and placed under a thick and large plastic jar from
which I would
> pump all the air away.
>
>   Since that motor is DC I can change RPM with voltage and it also has
a nice Hall
> sensor build in, which I can use to monitor RPM with external meter.
>
>   I'm doing it because I'm tired of spark gap noise, so I think that
if I create above
> mentioned enclosure it would help to ease stress to my ears.
>
>   Any suggestions and constructive criticism would be extremely
appreciated.

>   Also,
>
>   As a part of tube exercise I also decided to give it a try with
thyratrons instead of
> spark gap. It seems that thyratron tubes are relatively easy to set up
as spark gaps
> using proper drivers. I have a nice thyratron driver (NanoFast 204-7
Trigger 3.5KV).