Re: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:32:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Timka <tomasdoc2002@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

Actually in the case of the X-ray trigger, the spark gap is not needed to have a deep vacuum. In fact, low pressure is perfectly fine to initiate ionization in the cavity.

  The problem is that this whole devise would be quite bulky due to requirement of a good cooling and X-ray production.

  As far as glass envelope, unless it would have an internal / external X-ray permissible chambers with a cooling liquid circulating in a manner of high power CO2 laser tubes, I can already imagine the whole devise turning into a pile of molten glass in a matter of minutes.

  I’m positive that a lot of people have expertise to add more on this subject but after all it is probably not worth investigating further because:

  The devise would have to use a source of hard X-rays to ionize chamber rapidly, so, shielding would be imperative, not like anyone is desperate to have a 2 ton lead wall in their back yard. For the same reason, in order to deliver ionization in the amounts needed through glass barriers at nanofast rates, X-ray generator would have to be enormously power greedy.

  Cooling will be vital due to confined SP heat generation.

  This was more of a mental exercise using exotic and alternative methods.