Re: Mysterious Streamers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:40:00 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mysterious Streamers (fwd)

They look normal to me. Bear in mind that streamers and sparks occur in 3
dimensions, not 2. They may appear to form loops and all sorts of other
shapes but be perfectly straight in a different view.  Intensity can vary,
there can be gaps in the spark as well. Think about that, a gap in a spark.
The banjo effect is shown in your photo as well.  In addition there are
camera effects such as lens flare and interference.  All can look strange.
For an examination of sparks in 3D, gaps and streamer growth with streak
cameras see:
http://tesladownunder.com/HighVoltage.htm#Spark%20structure
Peter