RE: New guy plans (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:17:16 -0400
From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: New guy plans (fwd)

I think you're off by a decimal point.  As Bryan speculated, LTR for his
NST is .007uF, assuming 60 Hz power.  But the sweet spot is not a narrow
target; anything in that neighborhood is fine.  I prefer to lean to the
high side, so .007 to .01uF.

I would reconsider the MMC construction.  While a string of 19 0.15uF
caps would give you .0079uF/38kV, you're spending more money on more
caps than you need to.  If you chose cheaper 0.1uF caps, you'd only need
a string of 12 to give you a .0083uF/24kV cap.

1/2" tubing is overkill for any NST-powered coil.  1/4" tubing would be
more than adequate, more compact, and much easier to work with.

Not sure that you need the HV wire if you keep the wiring short and
direct.  For the tank circuit (gap-cap-primary-gap loop), you may want
to use something heavier than the GTO wire.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA