Re: tesla coil operation illustration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:48:37 EDT
From: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: tesla coil operation illustration (fwd)

In a message dated 8/24/07 12:05:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Hi Scott,
>
>How does a change in frequency produce  a voltage gain?
>
>How does the tank system step up the  transformer's voltage?
>
>Matt D.

Matt D,
Perhaps I should have been more specific, a change in frequency  does
not step up the voltage, but people (like English and History  professors)
understand this concept better than trying to explain how a  true resonant
circuit works by capacitors and inductors shifting phase,  and one charging
by current and the other by voltage, etc.  And no,  the Tank system does not
step up the transformers voltage, but the  resonance allows a potentially
much higher voltage to be generated in the  spark gap than what the
transformers are capable of alone, so as far as  the layperson is concerned,
the resonant system is making the transformers  put out more.  This is not
correct, but without going into  excruciating detail (that most people don't
actually care about or  understand) you cannot easily explain it any other
way (they just don't  get it!).  Thanks.
Scott Bogard

Hi Scott,

    Was it Prof. Mark Zemansky, late of CCNY, who said,  "You can make any
subject simpler to teach just by making it wrong"?   ;^))

Matt D.