Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:25:55 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (fwd)

Hi Dave, all,

As a professional firefighter for nearly 19 years now (and it's been just
about that long since I've had any schooling on fire extenguishers ;^), it's
my understanding that the classes of fire extinguisher go like this:

Class A - wood, paper, and textile products fires
Class B - petroleum product fires
Class C - electrical fires
Class D - combustible metal fires

The type of fires that a commercial fire extinguisher is designed
to put out is labeled on the the side of the fire extinguisher. Since
most A class only fire extinguishers are charged with water, it's ob-
vious that you would not want to squirt it on a fire with liquid petroleum
products or certainly not live eletrical equipment involved! Also, many
combustible metals (sodum, potassium, magnesium, ect.) are water
reactive and the introduction of water to a fire involving these could
actually worsen the situation (anyone who's ever dropped a lump of pure
sodium metal into a beaker of water can attest to this!).

Bottom line, the proper fire extenguisher for your high voltage
projects shop should be suitable for class C electrical fires, since
you may not have time to "throw the switch" before attempting extingusih-
ment. Most dry powder and CO2 fire extinguishers are suitable for Class
A, B, and C type fires. Due to its physical properties such as high
specific heat, surface tension, and low viscocity, water is by far
the universal fire fighting agent, but there are definitely some situtations
in which water is NOT the suitable extinguishment agent!

--
David Rieben