RE: V11.1 for JAVATC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:24:31 -0000 (GMT)
From: huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: V11.1 for JAVATC (fwd)

> Tony -

Remember that the "15kV" output of your NST is the RMS voltage, not the
actual peak-to-peak voltage. It's the peak voltage that puhches through
capacitor dielectrics, flashes across MMC capacitors that are mounted too
closely together, etc. The "peak" voltage for your 15kV NST (assuming
117-120 VAC input) will be 15,000 X 1.414, or over 21,000 volts. At the
very minimum, build your MMC to withstand this voltage. Much better design
practice is to build with additional safety margin, 1.5X or 2.0X would be
more conservative, depending on how much risk you feel comfortable with. I
have unwound "overvolted" C-D 942 capacitors and examined them under a
stereomicroscope, and I assure you that they suffer internal damage
(dielectric pinholes and vaporized electrodes)that will cause their
capacitance value to slowly decrease and eventually they will fail
completely. I'd rather build a MMC that costs more initially, but would
have a long life, and when I wanted to reconfigure the MMC or re-use the
capacitors for a different project have confidence that they were not
already damaged.

Regards,
Scott Hanson