Re: water pipe RF ground. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 06:47:52 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: water pipe RF ground. (fwd)

At 05:25 AM 8/31/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

Yes it will work.. the counterpoise forms an "artificial ground"  In
fact, that's the primary benefit.

>I used a counterpoise briefly in my garage until the water/gas pipe caught
>my eye. I'm actually clamped on where it physically comes up from the dirt
>into the house.

Hooking anything to a gas pipe is a strict no-no.  For one thing, the
actual buried pipe could be plastic, and only the riser is metal.
(this is quite common in new construction).  But even if not, there's
lots of rules about not using gas pipes for this purpose.

And, just because the pipe that emerges from the dirt is metal
doesn't mean that the pipe isn't hooked to a plastic pipe below (for
water, gas, or electric).  For instance, electrical conduit, if
buried, can be plastic, but the part sticking up has to be metal (in
some cases).. so you just have a plastic glue on fitting to metal
threaded coupling.