Re: [TCML] speeding up sync motors ?

Jim,

I do think that once the break rates get high at around 360 bps and higher,
that
sync gaps don't really do much good.  You could probably just use a  variable
speed DC motor and vary the break rate that way.  You'd still have to  use the
pulley and belt concept for electrical isolation of course because of the
steel
rotor, but at least you could easily vary the speed over a wide  range.

I never really saw any advantage to running a magnifier at higher break  rates
than a classic coil.  Richard's special rotary had 8 series  gaps.  Usually he
didn't crank it up to high break rates.  It probably ran overall more
efficiently
at a lower break rate.  The 8 series gaps was to attempt to improve  the
quench times.  However the quench time wasn't really that important  because
the overall (effective) coupling of the system (which is what matters)  was
not
really that tight.  In other words the primary and secondary were  tightly
coupled, but when the effect of the extra coil was calculated into  the
equation using Antonio's formula, the resulting overall effective  coupling
was similar to a classic coil.  The same applies to Ed Wingate's  magnifier.
Of course if anyone happens to build a magnifier with a relatively  small
bang-size, then of course they'll need to use a higher break rate in  order
to obtain reasonable spark lengths, and to obtain high power  throughput.
In such cases a longer spark might very well result by increasing the
bang size and reducing the break rate, for a given input power.

John

In a message dated 12/2/2007 12:05:42 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,