Re: [TCML] MMC failure / question or advice.

Hi Vinnie,

Sounds like your over volting the caps for whatever reason. Eight caps in series is very weak at reducing the voltage stress across each cap. Maybe the gap is firing at a higher voltage these days for some reason? I personally would double up on the caps per string to stop the failures once and for all. Regarding the resistor, it's probably because the voltage across that individual cap was high enough to arc across the resistor and promote it's failure.

De-rating the cap standoff voltage is "always" a good idea. 2x is acceptable for most applications. There's also running time with caps. Once enough internal holes are blasted through, it's just a matter of time before they just can't take the abuse any longer. I think your caps have maybe reached that point. A good idea is to just rebuild with more caps per string and use new caps.

Take care,
Bart

Vinnie wrote:
Hello people

 Recently I have been running into some trouble with my coil and what I believe to be an MMC failure
but not sure whats causing it.
 I am running 8 series CDE 942C20P15-F .15MFD 2000VDC caps in my MMC. First failure burned a hole
through two of these caps. I replaced the two bad caps with the same type and did two more 20 second
runs which resulted in a loud snap. No visible damage this time but I could still hear a loud snap or arc even after the coil stopped functioning. One bleeder resistor on one of my caps looks to have heated quite
a bit but it doesn't look burnt. Primary power input is 2 12/30 NST's and a RQ style gap. This functioned
great for years but it seems somewhere something is breaking down now. Does anyone have an ideas what could be happening. I am thinking maybe it's time to build complete new MMC.
Would anyone know if there is a better more robust MMC solution for my setup?

Thanks

Vinnie